The power of social media has dramatically changed life for Networking Marketers. In the early days, the only way to showcase these businesses was by convincing a friend to host a party and hope that others would book from that show and so on, and so forth. This is how I started and failed, in Network Marketing (Partylite) back in 1996. Fast-forward to 2013, when I re-entered Network Marketing with Isagenix, added Young Living Essential Oils in 2016 and this year, I considered adding Direct Cellars (wine) and Motives (makeup).
After 2 decades and 3 Network Marketing gigs, I know first-hand it is easier to be a Network Marketer in 2017 than 1996. The secret? Social Media! The various apps and platforms available are helpful for “marketing” your business and selling your products. Long gone are the days of calling for party bookings and here are the days of click, swipe, follow, post and tweet.
When it comes to Multi-level Marketing (aka: MLM or Networking Marketing), most people fall into two categories:
- Those who are eager to learn new ways to use Social Media for their Network Marketing gig.
- Those who wish I didn’t give Network Marketers any new ideas on how to leverage social media to further generate interest and revenue.
If you are #1, continue on reading for tools that should be used by every beginning network marketer. If you are #2, share this with those you know who are networking marketers.
The Phases of MLM
Social Media, while pivotal to your success, can be very overwhelming while you are learning about the intricacies of a MLM. The first step is to harness the excitement you feel when purchasing your “starter-kit” and enjoy all your new products. During this time, most eagerly post/tweet across all social channels which results in a sales, clients and referrals. As time goes on your sales funnel will dry up, some friends will have unfollowed your posts (yeah, that happens and it’s ok) and your MLM looks like it is starting to fail. Don’t give up! Instead, give into considering how else you can market your products to continue to climb the ranks and grow your down line.
Social Stacey’s MLM Must Have’s
There is great advice in 45 Best Mobile Apps for Marketing, on how to maximize your time at your computer for your social media strategy. There are also a few basic social sites (IMO) that any Network Marketer needs. The added benefit is that many of you already have existing followers/friends on these platforms.
- Twitter: @SocialStacey10 uses the techniques shared in The TAO of Twitter to maximize this platform. Successful Tweeters effectively use their 140 characters headlines to influence their followers. To guide in this creation, I use concepts taught to me on a seminar from The Brief Lab. What’s your products headline? What would compel me to purchase?
- Facebook: To separate my MLM posts from my personal feed, I have two different Facebook accounts. The Sky’s the Limit to your Health is purely for my two MLMs and is private for those who do not want before/after photos. This separation also builds a community of like-minded people who are achieving the same goals and they in-turn become a unique support system. My personal Facebook get condensed MLM posts about my MLMs.
- Hootsuite: This is my go-to for managing all my social feeds. It makes it easy to draft, schedule and voila, multiple platforms have my posts/tweets simultaneously. What’s the saying.. “Work Smarter, Not Harder”, that is Hootsuite at its best!
Social Stacey’s Business-Based Suggestions
The key in choosing platforms is to match it to what you are selling and the best way to showcase these products. Here are a few examples of how to match your MLM to a platform:
- Instagram is ideal for those who need to show photos of their products such as before/after photos from weight-loss with Isagenix or benefit charts for oils such as Young Living Essential Oils. Here are some of my Instagram posts:
- Periscope is ideal for those who need to provide a video demonstration, such as Younique make-up options and palettes or how to use Norwex supplies for sparkling clean house.
This list merely scratches the surface for Network Marketers who are looking for apps and platforms for their business. The key is that a Social Media strategy is necessary and reduces the time a Network Marketer spends on marketing, and more on enjoying the financial freedom benefit of a MLM.
Social Stacey wants to know, which Social Sites do you use for Network Marketing and why? Comment and share your ideas…