One of the most used methods of online marketing is e-mail marketing, yet very few articles have an A-Z guide on what you will need to be successful in this medium. Here is a 6-step process on how to get started with your email marketing campaign today!
Step 1 – The Why’s
The first step is to understand why to email your customers. Forbes shares these benefits of email marketing:
- 91% of US adults like Emailed Promotions
- Email is 40% more effective than Facebook & Twitter
- Builds Credibility
- Boosts Sales
- Strengthen Relationships
- Device Agnostic (open on any mobile platform)
- Looks professional
- Garners Immediate Results
- Generate Leads
- Promote Services
- Attract New Clients
Email Marketing is indeed a key to generating revenue for both acquisition and retention efforts. It can strengthen the business’s marketing efforts by efficiently delivering content on a routine basis to everyone that has opted into marketing (more about opt-ins below). Email marketing content should be a complementary array of promotional and brand messages to keep readers engaged, informed and interested in remaining opted-in to continue to receive emails.
Step 2 – The Strategy
Once a business determines to pull the trigger on email marketing, the next step is to learn the science behind creating an Email Marketing strategy such as these key ingredients:
- Customers Must Opt-In
- Customers Must be able to Opt-Out
- Honor Opt-Outs Quickly
- Straightforward Subject Lines
- From/To/Reply must be authentic
- Include a real postal address
- Be upfront that it is an Advertisement
- Use caution with “forward to a friend” email
- Understand what makes a commercial email
- Be aware of emails send on your behalf
One helpful tip in creating the strategy is to think like the consumer such as: Would you want to read the email? Is the content aligned to your target audience? Is it snazzy and eye-catching or just a whole bunch of words? If you answered “no” to any of these questions, it is time to re-think the strategy until you can answer “yes”.
Step 4 – The Database
Once the content is built, will they come? Um, likely not.
Growing an email database will take more time and effort than designing the content. Building a Killer Email Marketing List starts with your strategy and then focuses such as simple opt-in forms, list management, subscriber management and performance tracking aid into making a healthy database. The majority of your email database will come when consumers “opt-in” to receive your emails.
- Create gated assets (webinars, e-books, a variety of content) to for people to give you their email address
- Create useful tools
- Promote your gated assets on your marketing channels (ie: social, blogs, etc.)
- Run creative email marketing campaigns with a call to action and/or reengagement campaign
Step 5 – The Laws
Yes, there are anti-marketing and Spam laws. Spam is when you get copies of the same email message even when you do not choose to receive it. There are laws surrounding spam, such as the Can-Spam Act of 2003 which assigns a hefty fine of $16,000 per infringed email. There are also marketing laws specific to each state and country so be sure to research these before deploying an email marketing campaign.
Step 6 – The White Flag
If all else fails, choose from one of these Best Email Marketing Services which have been reviewed from an overall perspective as well as Email Sending, Creating and List Management.
Have other tips and tricks to share? Let me know in the comments!